Maintaining a healthy diet while wearing Invisalign aligners is crucial for the success of your treatment. It helps protect the aligners, promotes good oral hygiene, supports optimal tooth movement, preserves overall oral health, and enhances aligner comfort.
Here’s a comprehensive guide on what to prefer and avoid while having Invisalign in Sherwood Park.
Drinks That are Safe with Invisalign
When not using your Invisalign aligners, you can consume the following beverages just like you normally would:
- Water: Plain water is the best and safest option to drink while wearing your aligners. It does not contain any additives, sugars, or colors that can harm the aligners or your oral health.
- Unsweetened Tea: Herbal teas, green tea, or black tea without added sugar or additives can be enjoyed when the aligners are removed. Be cautious with teas that are known to stain, such as black tea, and rinse your mouth afterward to minimize any potential staining.
- Clear Sparkling Water: Carbonated water without added sugars or flavours can be a refreshing choice. Just ensure that it is clear and does not contain any additives that could damage the aligners.
- Milk: Plain milk can be consumed when the aligners are removed. However, be mindful that milk contains natural sugars, so it is important to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing after consuming it.
- Clear Sports Drinks: Some sports drinks come in clear or colorless varieties, which can be consumed without the aligners. However, it is important to check the ingredients and choose those without added sugars or artificial colors.
Remember to consult with your orthodontist or dentist in Sherwood Park for specific guidelines regarding beverage consumption and Invisalign aligners. They can provide tailored recommendations based on your individual treatment plan and ensure the best outcomes for your orthodontic journey.
Drinks You Should Avoid with Invisalign
The following beverages should be avoided while undergoing treatment for Invisalign near you:
- Coloured Beverages: Avoid drinking beverages that have strong colours, such as coffee, tea (especially black tea), red wine, cola, fruit juices, and sports drinks. These beverages can stain the aligners, making them less transparent and affecting their aesthetic appearance.
- Sugary Beverages: Stay away from sugary drinks like soda, energy drinks, sweetened fruit juices, and flavored waters. These beverages can create a sugary environment in your mouth, promoting the growth of bacteria and increasing the risk of tooth decay.
- Acidic Beverages: Acidic drinks like citrus juices (orange juice, grapefruit juice, etc.) and carbonated drinks can erode the enamel of your teeth over time. They can also weaken the aligners, making them more susceptible to damage or discoloration.
- Alcoholic Beverages: Alcoholic drinks, especially those with high sugar content like cocktails and mixed drinks, should be avoided while wearing Invisalign aligners. They can contribute to tooth decay and compromise the aligners’ integrity.
- Hot Beverages: It is best to avoid hot beverages like coffee and tea while wearing the aligners. Heat can warp or distort the aligners, affecting their fit and effectiveness.
Can You Drink with Invisalign Through a Straw?
Using a straw while wearing Invisalign aligners is generally not recommended. It can affect the fit of the aligners and increase the risk of staining or dental issues. It’s best to remove the aligners completely before drinking anything other than plain water. Consult with our dentist near you at Aspire Dental for personalized guidance.
What If You Accidentally Drink Something Besides Water?
If you accidentally drink something besides water while wearing Invisalign aligners, it’s important to remove the aligners as soon as possible. Rinse your mouth with water to minimize the contact of the beverage with the aligners and teeth. Clean your aligners thoroughly using a soft toothbrush and lukewarm water to remove any residue. Brush your teeth and floss to maintain good oral hygiene. Remember to follow the recommended wear time for your aligners and consult with your orthodontist if you have any concerns.
You must rigorously abide by the instruction to only drink plain water while wearing your Invisalign aligners if you want to keep them functioning and looking good. This entails taking out the aligners before drinking anything else and properly cleaning your mouth using water before placing them back in.